I guess the purpose of you reading this article is to make more money as a web developer. If my guess is right, perfect because in this guide I’m going to walk you through 10 different ways you can earn extra income online and still keep your full-time job as a programmer.
The internet has gone a long way where every little dollar counts these days.
Research has shown, that average people make extra income online as a side hustle and still keep their 9-5 jobs.
Having a side hustle that generates money for you on autopilot is the best way to double or triple your income as a developer.
Here are 10 ways to start making an extra income online as a side hustle.
1. Start Your own Programming Blog
Are you good in a particular niche and you can build an audience around them? Starting your own blog is one of the ways to generate a side income and make money online while you still working full time.
Starting your blog and making money from it might be an undertaking and require some metrics.
But wait before you can start a programming blog, there are few things you will need to setup.
- Domain Name – A domain name is your shop online where your audience can type into their browser to locate your website. There are tons of highly reputable, affordable companies you can choose to host your website like Bluehost, Kinsta, Namecheap, Hostgator or one of these monthly web hosting services.
- Web Hosting – Now that you have gotten your domain name, next is to purchase a hosting account that will power all your website resources. For hosting your website, I highly recommend WPengine to power your blog. Do you know if you purchase a yearly hosting plan from Bluehost you get a FREE domain name for the first year?
- Blogging Platform – There’re also tons of blogging platforms to power your blog ranging from Tumblr, Blogger, WordPress.com but you won’t have authority over your content, so I recommended WordPress for building your blog. You don’t need to buy anything here because it comes prepacked when you signup to for a web hosting account with either Bluehost, Kinsta, Namecheap, Hostgator Or if you are technically capable of hosting your website or blog on your own (and you should), you can use my $50 credit if you sign up with Digital Ocean.
- Premium Theme – Surely you are going to need a theme for your blog, I don’t advice you to use FREE themes for your blog when you are starting out. Elegant Themes offers a premium WordPress customized theme called Divi.
- Monetization – Now that your blog is ready, next is to monetize it, so you can start making money off it. You can start with Google Adsense. Google allows you to monetize your content with Google Ads where you get paid anytime someone clicks on the ads. But to start earning, you will be given a code to place your website by Google after you have been accepted into the program.
2. Launch a Saas based Product
Are you the type who has an entrepreneur spirit in you and have the plan to start a business someday? Then starting your own Saas based business is your best choice for you.
Building and scaling by growing a Saas based business is a highly most difficult way to make money online but when scaling up properly, it can turn to a multi-stream of income as your new business.
Make a research on the problem you think can be solved using technology and has to be a niche you are familiar with. You can launch your own Saas based business using this website JVzoo and Clickbank.
3. Start a social media marketing agency
Digital marketing is the fastest-growing mean of advertising business owners can use to advertise their products online. You can help small business owners to have their product in front of their audience by starting a social media marketing agency.
You can use your email marketing, social media, SEO knowledge, and skills to help people market their small businesses.
Since all you need is a computer and an internet connection, it isn’t challenging to dedicate some time during the week for this digital side hustle.
4. Affiliate Marketing
You can apply this method to the first one I mention at the beginning of this post about starting your own blog. Do you have any products or courses you might have used in the past, which is related to your blog niche? You can write content around those items by promoting to your audience sharing your affiliate link and get commission anytime they make a purchase.
You can start by promoting some computer science or programming related books on your website with Amazon Affiliate Program, It’s free to join and you can start sharing your unique link with your audience.
Another option to monetize your blog for an affiliate program is promoting udemy courses to your audience.
To join their affiliate program – Click here to SignUp
5. E-commerce Website
Ecommerce is skyrocket right now and a market you can tap into to make a side hustle as a developer.
You can start selling products online without actually owning a physical store, Yeah that’s possible through dropshipping. With Shopify and Oberlo you can easily start your own e-commerce dropping business by importing products from aliexpress to Shopify and start taking orders.
But if you feel that a lot of stressful starting that, you can buy already build an e-commerce website on Exchange Marketplace
6. Design and Sell Online Courses
But if you want to have control over your revenue, I highly recommend you signup at Teachable
7. Create E-books
Creating an ebook is a lucrative and huge market tap into as the world is going digital now. People spend most of the time read on their phones, it has shifted from the usual way we read via a hard copied book to a digitalized format known as an ebook.
A large number of people are now buying books with amazon kindle which is similar to an e-book, so this is one of the best choices to make side income as a developer.
If you have an ebook idea, this is a way to get your idea to your audience and make money. You can start with the amazon marketplace (handle all handling and delivery) or launch your own store to start selling but you will have to manage all inventory and shipping on your own.
8. Create a Mobile Application
You can make extra income creating mobile apps which solve a particular problem or makes your user work more efficiently but to use some extra feature on the app you can implement in-app purchase. You can make it cross platform-based for both Android and iOS apps.
Your idea has to be great to make good amount of money as the market is very competitive right now, so you need an app that functions and provides value in some form or the other.
After you are done with the app, you can publish it on Google Playstore and iOS App Store for people to start downloading right away.
9. Sell Techincal Services
You can start offering technical services online to generate income, companies like Fiverr, Upwork or Freelancer give you an opportunity to work at your own comfort zone providing technical services like web development, graphic design, WordPress customization.
If you are just starting I recommend you join Fiverr at the start because you can get started creating and accepting gigs in less than 24hours compare to Upwork which you will need to go through an approval process and doesn’t guarantee you will get accepted.
It’s good to know that you will be competing with thousands of service providers across the globe, so you need to stand out and do your branding and marketing very well. Also, pick a niche that isn’t much competition.
Visit Fiverr to get started.
10. Test Websites
As a developer, you should have strong eye that makes a good website. Is it user-friendly and easy to navigate? Does the layout make sense? Unfortunately there people who are willing to pay you to test their website for a dollar. You can be receiving from $10 per 20 minutes or $40 per hours
To check flaw on any website, you’ll be asked to visit the site in question and record your reactions and thoughts as you go through it.
To get started making extra money online by testing websites, sign up for some of the most popular services like UserTesting.com, Userlytics, TryMyUI, Userfeel, TestingTime (for people outside the U.S), or Side Income Jobs.
There are many ways to make extra income online as a web developer.
Start with anyone that interest you most and think would be balanced with your current job
Good luck 🙂